Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Friday, August 27, 1915

When I turned out to scrub decks at 5:30 it was raining. We proceeded to scrub in swimming trunks. I took the hose, and we finished the deck in no time - then we began on ourselves. The rain was warm, the salt water was warm and the air was warm - so we had one great time. We had turret drill - I was hoistman, which was a fruity job. We drilled with the shell, and did real well considering the fact that it was our first drill in the turret. In the afternoon we had a field day, finishing at about four o'clock. Thank goodness we have the quarter deck to turn to on. Everybody is going to spend his Sep leave as far away from Crabtown as he can - on paper. Of course, every mile we turn in is five cents more to spend in September - and then I don't see how the Admiral has the right to withhold from us the money we saved out of our salary. I think he's going a little deeper than he thinks he's going. The gang had another meeting on the dog house until 10. From 10 to twelve I read in the steering engine room. I was to take the 12-2 watch, relieving Fully. The weather was again very warm and sunny. In the evening a wind came up that by two o'clock increased to a 50 mile gale. Blankets, shoes, sheets and clothes whirled about the top side like so many bits of paper in the street.

No comments: