Saturday, July 12, 2008

Monday, July 12, 1915


We got into Guantanamo at about 2:30. When it got light enuf, I took a good look at this, our greatest possibility in the way of a naval station. There is a fine harbor, full of coves, landlocked with a small outlet. A low rang of mountains shelters it on all sides. There is a marine barracks, a two tower wireless station, store houses and a great traveling crane; behind the barracks were seven huge oil tanks. That is all one can see to indicate that the place is a naval base - but there are enormous possibilities! I didn't have much time to gaze at scenery tho. We began coaling at 8 and didn't finish until 7 in the evening. And such coal! It was dirty, dusty and hard to work. In half an hour we were as black as the lighters. I had coal in my eyes, in my lungs, ears and mouth - and the water they gave us was too warm to drink. We had to wet the coal continuously so that we wouldn't choke. Our division finished our lighter at 3:30, then we had to help on deck. I bought a pineapple and some bananas from a bum boat man. By some mistake the bugler blew swimming call - I took advantage of the mistake and jumped in, until somebody called us back. The water was fine - so was the pineapple. I joined the steaming watch in Evan's place. Swung on the forecastle. We left Guantanamo at 8:30. Among some of the uncommon things I saw here were a shark, several herons, a pelican, fish hawks and a fiery red butterfly.

No comments: