Saturday, July 26, 2008

Monday, July 26, 1915

Turned out at 6:30. Went below at 8:15 on my first day at engineering. The Swine[?] started us out with a speech on work - saying among other things that he intended to give us enuf work to keep us busy until 9 at night. The morning's work was to trace and sketch the main steam, auxiliary steam and auxiliary exhaust. In the afternoon we sketched the air pump, circulating pump, fire and bilge, and the flushing pumps, the fee and filter tank, main condenser, water service and the reversing engine. I worked on my notebook until about 7:30 - not quite the limit. I was tired from standing up all day long so I turned in at 8. It was still very cold above decks and windy. Two whales were seen during the day tho I didn't get a look at them.

No comments: