Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thursday, July 29, 1915

We were roused from a deep sleep at 5 this morning, but what for I don't know. Until breakfast time I watch the approach to San Diego, the narrow mouth of the harbor, the city, farther on, clustered among the hills, the broad yellow brown areas that with the mountains enclosed the broad body of water that forms the harbor and all its branches. Before we entered the harbor a familiar buzz announced the presence of an aeroplane, and it was not long until we saw not only one, a biplane, but also three biplane-hydroaeroplanes. All of them flew about us waving and cheering. We dropped anchor at 8 in the morning, and before ten were on our way to the dock, with our guns, ready for the parade. Amid the cheers of the crowd that turned out, most of them in two great lines of autos, we marched, between two lines of cavalry, dipping in honor to us, up Broadway. The city was decorated with flags especially the streets along which lay our route. Marching into the plaza at the exposition we formed into two battalion lines, presenting arms before old Teddy - Roosevelt was there to greet us with a speech, one that I can't remember well enuf to attempt to put down here, but one the substance of which I do not want to forget. After that ceremony we marched to cars that carried us back to the landing. It had been a hot walk, but as I was to find out, we were well repaid for the favor. At 2 we were back in San Diego - with 12:30 liberty! That meant a feed at the U.S. Grant, and we had it - from 5:30 to 8. In the afternoon we visited the Exposition. After the feed we went to the ball that was to be given us in the plaza. Only Geok and I went there. It was less than 5 minutes after I arrived when I was introduced to Capt. Jecoup's wife, who immediately after our dance, introduced me to some girls - and from then until 11:45 I kept meeting women and dancing. Many Coronado people were there, and they did their best to show us a good time - and succeeded. When I got back to the ship by the last boat, I was tired but happy. It did not take me long to turn in and fall asleep.

No comments: