Thursday, July 10, 2008

Saturday, July 10, 1915

Woke out of a sound sleep at 5 to scrub decks. The cinders were flying so fast and thick that we couldn't get the quarter deck clean. We had to scrub three decks while the gobs slept in. The are getting away with too much - they are lazy and sullen and won't stay on their side of the ship. Had Captain's inspection in the morning - locker inspection was very close. He asked me my name, but I don't know why. From after inspection until noon I corked off. Went below at 1:20 and fired continuously until 4:45 when I was so tired that I had to quit. After a good hot bath and cold salt shower I lay on the dog house until supper. My bones ached so that I couldn't rest but I knew it would be only temporary. I didn't eat much supper, but returned to the dog house where I staid [sic] until almost 9:30. We had a queer sunset. After a marvelously clear, cool day, the sun set in a bank of golden yellow, lighting clouds on the eastern horizon a fiery red. A few minutes after it had sunk out of sight black clouds began racing to the west. All this was an old indication of coming rain. I turned in below about 10.

No comments: