Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tuesday, July 6, 1915

When I turned out this morning at 5 the sun was shining brilliantly - in shear [sic] delight it seemed at the fact that he would soon see us in other waters, for we leave tomorrow morning. We scrubbed decks as usual, had quarters and were supposed to have gun drill - but the gunner's mate was on liberty and we couldn't find the dotter gear - much to our dismay. At 11 the Wisconsin pulled out. We - the guard - were called aft under arms. As the BU passed us the band played one strain of the national air and we came to present arms. It certainly felt fine to see the old ballyho leaving. I wonder where we will catch her. In the afternoon we were supposed to have signal drill, but I picked Corbett out as my partner and as he knows more than I could tell him we soon finished our work and I went up on the anchor and wrote letters - the last mail was to leave at 3. As it was to be the last day that we would be able to sit behind the anchor davit, we spent a few hours up there in the afternoon. I was corking off and very nearly missed supper formation. After hammocks as much as the gang as was not on watch went to the eyes and spent a very pleasant evening. We turned in about 10:15 expecting to be turned out at 3:30.

No comments: