Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Friday, June 4, 1915

Last night I turned in at 1:30 for five and a half hours of sleep. The German was a beautiful affair and the noise lasted until after one o'clock. For three hours before this the plebes received their final "attentions" in the form of cold showers, wet beds, and sore heads (not to mention other extremities).

I was on duty at the gate from eight to nine this morning - with nothing to do but salute with a "Very good, sir" and glance at the fair ones as they came by. I have another hour of the same tonight.

An hour before reveille the plebes were out putting the 1st classmen under the showers on their last morning as midshipmen. My plebe, Scheck, came into my room when they had finished, and such a wet, bedraggled cold and shivering human I haven't seen in a long time. He had evidently been in the shower as much as the firstclassmen - but I'll wager he enjoyed it more than they did.

In an hour and a quarter I'll be a full fledged second classman - half educated, and as green as a cucumber before the blossom has fallen off the end. But at any rate I'll take advantage of the prestige that the name endows me with, and try to grow into it.

No comments: