Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thursday, June 10, 1915

About 10:30 last night I awoke from an awful dream - and just as I awoke I heard one say "Sound the General alarm." I was awake at once and tumbled out. The bell rang before I hit the deck. There was a fire aboard. Everyone tumbled out as they had never tumbled before and went to his fire quarters. Our division had to fall in on the quarter deck and lead out a hose there. It was a sleepy, shivering bunch of 'mids' that was gathered in questioning groups about the deck. The fire was a little affair in a sailor on the boat deck and was soon put out - and we were soon turned in again too. Turned out again at 5 and scrubbed decks. At 8 o'clock I began a five days detail as signalman on the bridge. Mack, Headlee and Tex are in my crew. First we beat the port crew in a signal hoisting contest, then the two crews beat the Ohio in a similar contest. Yesterday the Ohio beat the Wisconsin - so I guess we are the Champion signalers.

A case of mumps was discovered on board, so we had to air bedding again today. I never knew mumps lurked in hammocks. It's funny how a man can find something when he looks real hard for it - there wouldn't have been any mumps on board if that squint eyed - and brown eyed - doctor hadn't scraped up a case from nowhere.

I was on the bridge again from 4 to 6 and from 8 to 10 this morning. We get semiphore and ardoc's I guess. - Yes we did.

There are no signs of leaving yet - but according to dope we get liberty Saturday. I hope so. The papers say that unless more evidence is produced, nothing can be done to the midshipmen under investigation.

No comments: