Saturday, June 7, 2008

Monday, June 7, 1915

We're not gone yet - and what is worse there aren't any indications that we will go until after tomorrow. We had a good "movie" show and band concert last night - followed by a good nights' sleep. At quarters we had 'spuds' drill and some double timing - the first exercise since we've come aboard. After that we were assigned to our guns. As luck would have it I hit a three inch gun. I would rather have had a 6" gun like last year - but this is another case of not getting what you want and making the best of what you get. I am pointer and have a good crew I believe - at least I believe we can make a good crew out of them.

This business of loafing around gets me nervous. There's hardly a thing to do yet - and every day we stay here is a day off the cruise.

Have listened to two hours of very instructive but also very dry gunnery safety precautions and elementary navigation. If the officer hadn't been where he could see me I would have been asleep. We're supposed to be honing Bowditch's 48 useful tables - but...

Went in swimming this afternoon for half an hour. The water was fine - just salty enuf to make me feel sticky. There are no signs yet of getting under way - this suspense is awful. We're to have more movies tonight, but as we have to turn out at 5 tomorrow morning I guess I'll turn in early. Had a good cork this afternoon for a couple of hours - until the deck got too hard to be comfortable.

No comments: