Saturday, June 14, 2008

Monday, June 14, 1915

Slept in this morning until 6:30. I didn't rate it, but I got away with it and wasn't a bit sorry. We beat the Ohio at drill this morning 28-26, according to the Wisconsin's way of figuring, 30-24 according to ours. The Ohio has runaway halliards, we use hand over had, so our only hope was in beating the Ohio was to read them before they could, and then bend on the flags faster than they did. But we got them. Our side lost only two hoists. Old Mac spent most of his spare time cussing out Tex, and then Tex started in on Mac - I had to add a few words to both to quiet them down. It was flag day today - but the only thing that we did was to air the bunting after the nor'wester of yesterday afternoon. Had a bad watch again, 4-6 and 8-10. Old Doc Watson - the Ensign - kept us busy with blinker and ardois. He thought he could beat me reading ardois, but he didn't know me then.

No comments: